Ann's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Nov 27, 2007

bookshelves: mysteries, sci-fi, actionadventure, young-adult
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Read in August, 2008

This was a very unique book and I really enjoyed it! It did take me a few chapters to get completely absorbed, but after that I was thoroughly interested in the plot and how everything would be resolved.
The book is unique in multiple ways, but two stand out for me. The first of which, is that it’s probably one of the least predictable books I’ve read lately. You can guess how the overall ending will probably turn out, but the specifics and the “how” were (at least to me) pretty unpredictable.
Also, the book uses pictures to help tell the story, instead of depicting what’s already been written. For example, The text might read something like, “Hugo walked into the train station,” followed by four or five drawings, one of Hugo walking into the station, one of him seeing a friend, one of him running to meet his friend, and one of him tripping. The text would then say something link, “Hugo’s friend offered him a hand up.” That’s probably very confusing, but I hope it helps a little. I think it would be a great book for a young reader who isn’t too keen on reading, because it is a thick book, but because of all the drawings, you can get through it fairly quickly, yet you still have a great sense of accomplishment. So, I think it would probably be a good jump-start sort of book.
Though, let me emphasize that, even if you are an avid reader, it’s still a great book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

12/31/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kathryn I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on this!
:-)

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann I'm quite curious to see what I think of it, too! lol!
I'm about 5 "chapters" in and I do find myself getting quite interesting in the story's development.

Kathryn That's a great review, Annie!!! I like how you described the words/pictures relationship (the example was super) and the recommendation to the reluctant readers. I second all that you said.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Thanks - I'm glad it all came across okay;) Thanks so much for recommending it to me and for letting me borrow it!

message 4: by Qt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Qt This sounds like really a great book and definitely like something I'd enjoy. Glad you liked it!

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Yes, I think you would like it. Actually, it'd be interesting to see your thoughts of it since you read graphic novels, too.

message 2: by Qt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Qt I agree: great description of how the pictures help tell the story. I thought it was neat how the pictures give you a sense of place and time, and helped move the action along (and yes, contributed a definite comic-book flavor!) and the text told most of the story. Quite an original, cool idea!

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann It was pretty original, wasn't it? :)