Candy's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Mar 28, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-love, 2009-reads

I read this book a few summers ago ( in high school), and I felt a mysterious urge to read it again. Probably because I have a lot more appreciation for literature at the age of 24. What I loved about this book was, for one, the silence. As I read, I heard only the narrator, a teenage boy in the 70’s who is one of a few young boys who are inexplicably obsessed with the Lisbon girls.

The Virgin Suicides is definitely one of them. The book itself is written extremely well and I could actually relate and see these characters in my mind. I love how the book is very intricate and tells every detail about their life. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in life itself. I couldn’t put this book down the night I got it I read all the way to a little over chapter 5 and had to put it down…because it was so haunting.

The book is extremely easy to read although it may get depressing. This is not meant to be a “Candy-Coated teen novel” but rather a book that comments on such things as religion and the reality of life. The book gives more detail and in my opinion is better than the movie but the movie does great justice to the book. I think Sofia Coppola did an amazing job. Back, in the day – I watched the movie and was obsessed with it. After reading the book with a lot more understanding I saw how well the director pieced together all the characters to represent.

In the end, this novel leaves you with an eerie sense of calm with a dash of haunting sadness – but snap out of it. It`s only fiction and in the end these characters sought happiness away from a household where they had no freedom. I would strongly recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

Quotes Candy Liked

Jeffrey Eugenides
“It didn't matter in the end how old they had been, or that they were girls, but only that we had loved them, and that they hadn't heard us calling, still do not hear us, up here in the tree house, with our thinning hair and soft bellies, calling them out of those rooms where they went to be alone for all time, alone in suicide, which is deeper than death, and where we will never find the pieces to put them back together.”
Jeffrey Eugenides, The Virgin Suicides