Felicity's Reviews > The Murder Room

The Murder Room by P.D. James

Apr 30, 2007

bookshelves: mystery, audiobook, fiction, novel
Read in February, 2006

P.D. James is hailed as the current queen of the murder mystery, and as an excellent writer as well as plotter; based on this book, the plaudits are justified. The characters are complex and intriguing; the mystery satisfyingly difficult; and the hero, Commander Adam Dalgliesh of New Scotland Yard, appealing, in his quiet way. I'd say its chief fault was leaving a bit of the motive unspoken at the end, implied but not delineated in a way that was artful but not satisfying. It is worth noting that twice, in this book, the author created body-discovery moments of such beautiful, taut horror that I shut the tape off to savor them.

About the audiobook read by Charles Keating: Beautiful; good acting, marvelous accents, and very distinct characters, including believable women's voices (cross-gender reading is sometimes an issue in audiobooks.) I wish the audiobook company hadn't felt compelled to put a minute or two of cheesy soundtrack music at the beginning and end of the book, but it's only a few minutes; I can hack it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder Room.