CaliGirlRae's Reviews > Dmitry's Closet

Dmitry's Closet by Latrivia S. Nelson

Mar 29, 10

bookshelves: interracial, contemporary-romance, suspense, fave-authors, favorite, best-of-2010-reads, russian-hero
Recommended for: Romantic Suspense & anti hero fans, Interracial Romance fans
Read from March 27 to 29, 2010, read count: 1

4.5 - This is easily a 5 star story. Ms. Nelson weaves a wonderful love story mixed with action packed suspense and some welcoming surprises along the way.

Royal Stone is tired of job hunting on a hot Memphis day. As she steps into a little restaurant unknown to her called Mother Russia, she has no idea how much her life will change. She comes upon a handsome Russian in an expensive suit playing the violin. Right away, she is entranced by his music and him. He offers her food and some refreshments and soon he's offering her a job for her new boutique opening up called Dmitry's Closet. Complete with room and board, Royal can't resist the invitation. She's lived a life from one foster home to another, never really settling anywhere. She takes up the job and soon enters a lavish lifestyle led by the charming, handsome and enchanting Dmitry.

I loved this book. I really liked the fact that even though Dmitry's profession and lifestyle is revealed in the blurb, the story takes its time to reveal it slowly. First we see him as a person, then we see how he treats those around him before the truth about how makes his money is revealed. I love antiheroes especially when they're written with such complexity like Dmitry. I don't think I've read such a compelling character this year since Jon F. Merz's Parallax which features two deadly yet sympathetic assassins in the lead. It also reminded me of Anne Stuart's Ice series although Dmitry is not as cold and calculating (but he does have his moments)! Kudos to Ms. Nelson for writing such a wonderful love story with a side of action and suspense. She really went into the brutal structure of the Russian mob and brought out the reality of it in society along with a heavy dose of the current economic situation. Romantic suspense is one of my favorite genres to read and she did it awesomely. I also loved the fact that she handled the love scenes so sensuously. Often IR books nowadays get so crude and short on the emotion that there's no time to really connect with the character but Dmitry's Closet allows you to really feel for both Dmitry and Royal and understand how they see each other through one another's eyes.

As I said, this is clearly a five star story but I give it 4.5 starts due to some grammatical, homonym and spelling errors that interrupted the flow of the story at some points.

Other than that, the story was excellent, the characters were engaging and I'm jazzed to add this to my keeper shelf. I look forward to more works by Ms. Nelson if this is what we have to look for in the future!

This is definitely going on my best of 2010 reads list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dmitry's Closet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm so excited that you loved it. It's a great sign that I will too.

CaliGirlRae Yeah! I think you will definitely love it, Danielle. Especially Dmitry. He's dangerous yet oh so yummy. I can't wait to see what you think!