Gus Clancy's Reviews > The Hellbound Heart

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

Apr 08, 10

Read from March 28 to 30, 2010

I loved this book. I remember seeing one of the Hellraiser films when I was 6, and it scared the hell outta me. When I was sent to sleep that night, I leaped nearly 5 feet to reach my bed for fear that pinhead was underneath. Although I was terrified, from that night on, I have been in love with horror films. I am not an avid reader, but after finding out that The Hellbound Heart was the format for one of my favorite movies I had to read it. The next night day I picked it up and finished it that night. I was amazed. The book was so good that it re-awakened a love for reading that I had lost during my teen years.

What made The Hellbound Heart so great to me was simply the way it was written. This was the first Clive Barker book I had read, and I was completely impressed by his style of writing. He seems to have a knack for telling the story without overwhelming you with unnecessary detail, while retaining the sense of being present in the book yourself. I could feel the desperation growing in the characters as the tale progressed. I frequently place myself in the scenario of a book or film as a means to gauge and critique a story (as others probably do as well). Imagining myself in that "damp" room, I was visited by that same fear i felt as a child of six. Some reviewers have said the book was too violent and gory, but I disagree. Considering the nature of the Cenobites, i was suprised this novella was as tame as it was. The Hellbound Heart is probably not for everybody, but if you are often intrigued by the darker side of things then you'll definitely feel as I do about the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hellbound Heart.