Nic's Reviews > Heist Society

Heist Society by Ally Carter

F 50x66
Mar 28, 2010

bookshelves: review-copy, young-adult, mystery, why-didn-t-i-read-this-sooner, read-in-2011
Read from June 17 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy

Rating: 4.5 stars

Favourite Quote: "It is an occupational hazard that anyone who has spent her life learning how to lie eventually becomes bad at telling the truth."

Heist Society is a brilliant read! It was fun and fast paced and I loved every minute of it.

Kat is a 15 year old retired thief or was until she was forced to get back in the family business in order to save her Dad. Her father has been set up, accused of stealing paintings from a mobster type of guy that lead to some very dangerous consequences. With help from her crew including the yummy Hale she is going to steal the painting back and clear her father's name. But this is the biggest and most dangerous heist of Kat's life.

Carter has written a well thought out plot. They were surprises around every corner and it certainly kept me on the edge of my seat. I loved that I could never predict what was going to happen next. It was exciting and completely addictive.

And the characters what a funny, warm and brave bunch! I would love to hang out with Kat and the crew. Kat is strong, determined and instantly likeable. And I loved the dynamics between Kat and her friends. There is plenty of witty dialogue that ensured I was grinning the whole way through.

There is a tiny bit of romance. You can see there are some feelings between Kat and a certain thief. Carter is taking the slow and natural progression which I love. Although further down the series I am sure I am going to begging for Carter to make something happen. But for now I am enjoying the playful and some time sweet banter.

"Dancing. Come on. You can do it. It's a lot like navigating through a laser grid. It requires rhythm.' He moved her hips to the beat of the distant music. 'And patience.' He spun her around slowly and back toward him. 'And it's only fun if you trust your partner.' The dip was so slow, so smooth that Kat didn't know it was happening until the world was already turned upside down and Hale's face was inches from her own.
Count me in, Kat.' He squeezed her tighter. 'You should always count me in."

After finishing this I am left thinking to myself why didn't I read this earlier and of course had to start book #2 Uncommon Criminals immediately. I definitely recommend this if you are looking for a fun novel with entertaining characters and a fantastic premise. Don't miss out on this awesome series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heist Society.

Quotes Nic Liked

Ally Carter
“Dancing. Come on. You can do it. It's a lot like navigating through a laser grid. It requires rhythm.' He moved her hips to the beat of the distant music. 'And patience.' He spun her around slowly and back toward him. 'And it's only fun if you trust your partner.' The dip was so slow, so smooth that Kat didn't know it was happening until the world was already turned upside down and Hale's face was inches from her own.
Count me in, Kat.' He squeezed her tighter. 'You should always count me in.”

Ally Carter
“And I didn't choose it, Kat. I chose you.”

Ally Carter
“It is an occupational hazard that anyone who has spent her life learning how to lie eventually becomes bad at telling the truth.”

Ally Carter
“I'm the guy who happened to be home the night Kat came to steal a Monet."- Hale”

Ally Carter
“Can I see you outside for a second?" Kat glared at Hale, then walked to the patio doors and out onto the veranda.
As Hale closed the door behind him, Kat heard Angus say, "Ooh, Mom and Dad are going to fight now.”

Ally Carter
“I sprung you because I've got a message for you"
"doesn't your family own a cell phone company?"
"only a little one”

06/18/2011 page 51
18.0% "Really really loving this!" 18 comments
06/18/2011 page 207
72.0% "Just want to keep reading this <3" 18 comments
03/25/2016 marked as: read

Wendy Darling This one sounds like so much fun--I can't wait to read it! Great review as always, Nic. :)

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Thanks Wendy! I will have a giveaway for this sometime this week too on my blog.

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I just enterred your give-away! :)

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic ~crosses fingers and toes for you~

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Tee hee. :P

message 6: by Leilani (new)

Leilani Taylor I really loved this book, and I also think it was a great read. I love how she makes Kate only 15 years old and writes of her doing the most dangerous heist any person including adults have done in their whole life. That just makes the book even more intriguing. I also enjoyed the plot, and the suprises, like when the police were outside waiting for Taccone after the fourth painting was stolen. I had no idea she was going to turn him in, I thought she would just give over the artwork and be on her way. I could not put this book down once i started, addictive to me to! I looove Kat too ! And her group of friends and family made the book all the more entertaining. I especially like the lovely dovey/serious business relationship Kate and Carter had going on. Even though I wish they would have got together in THIS book. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read book two yet but if it's as good as this one I probably will. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a teenage action story that includes romance and a family bond that cant be broken.