Caitlin O'Sullivan's Reviews > Dracula the Un-Dead

Jul 11, 2014

it was ok
bookshelves: horror, vampires, annoyed_me
Read in March, 2010

Written by a Stoker family member and a Dracula researcher/screenwriter . . . and it shows. Between infodumps (I sometimes felt like I was reading a nonfiction combination of a Walking Guide to London, The Real Story of Dracula!, and The Real Story of Jack The Ripper!) and telling-not-showing description (please, please stop telling me about how much Quincy Harker resents Johnathan Harker) I was ready to chuck this book at the wall by about page 80. I kept reading, in hope that it would get better, but it didn't.

If you are a serious Dracula nerd, you may find some enjoyment in the in-jokes sprinkled through the pages, but if you're not a fanboy, look elsewhere for your vampire fix. I'd suggest Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, or Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist if you're looking for nonsparkly vampires, or Grace Hammer, by Sara Stockbridge, if you want turn-of-the-century London without the annoying "look at my research!" attitude.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula the Un-Dead.

03/28/2010 page 188
44.34% "Dacre and Ian: 1. It's lovely that you've done research. Please don't repeat all of it for me. 2. STOP TELLING AND START SHOWING!"