Ruhegeist's Reviews > Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer

Farm City by Novella Carpenter

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: bio, gardening, non-fiction
Read from March 27 to April 24, 2011

serious annoyance. really got into this book until page 56 jumped to 121! its missing a huge section. :( now i need to go get a new copy so i can finish the book. i'm enjoying her style and trying to understand her way of life and choices.

devoured the remainder of the book. her writing was wonderful. while i will never aspire to the level of urban farming Carpenter rose to, having my own house and garden are at the top of my desire. knowing how much she fumbled and failed at some things is heartening to me who doesn't typically dare to start what feels already doomed to failure and loss. i can't imagine that much love, effort and time poured into a squat garden. its the exploration and the growth and the small successes that are most important i'm learning. reading this and Boorstein's books is helping me see this.

reading this during a time filled with stories of Greg Mortenson's over elaborations in writing his book and wondering what exaggerations may be made by Carpenter in no way detracted from how extremely enjoyable this book was. horrifying, funny, bewildering, utterly inspiring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farm City.