Paul's Reviews > Pattern Recognition

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson

Apr 14, 10

Read from March 27 to April 14, 2010

I tried really hard. I couldn't make it past page 200. Gibson can write a vivid scene and has a great grasp on the idiosyncrasies of his characters, but that didn't make for a compelling plot or engaging characters. I just couldn't bring myself to care, particularly since the ideas about branding and viral marketing have been addressed in much more depth in numerous (and far more engaging) nonfiction works. I can't decide whether to hold Gibson to blame that his vision of web video culture comes off so dated a mere seven years later, post-Youtube: "the footage" just seems like such a loopy, Burning Man-fueled tech-geek vision of the future, in which mass culture is enraptured by esoterica, when the future of web video has actually turned out to be haul videos and guys getting hit in the balls. Much more America's Funniest Home Videos than Stanley Kubrick. I still can't decide whether to hold an author responsible for his fictional predictions coming off as dated, but it certainly didn't help a book which already felt like a constant slog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pattern Recognition.