T. Edmund's Reviews > Noah's Compass

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

Mar 27, 10

Noah's Compass finds Liam, a 60-year-old recently retired (sort-of) teacher shifting into a new apartment, who awakens to find himself in hospital after a blow to the head.

From this point we follow Liam, as he struggles to regain his memory, initiates a romance with a younger (married) woman, juggles the advice giving attentions of his daughters and deals with an awkward relationship with his ex-wife.

The prose of Noah's Compass is plain-speak and easy to read, however the author occasionally indulges in tell rather than show - throughout the book Liam makes realisations that are spelt out to us rather than shown within the action - Also, and this is a strange thing to be bothered about but hey, the narration switches between almost exclusively using He and then Liam. At first I thought this was to reflect confusing times in Liam's life but no, just random. Maybe I'm just picky.

Not to spoil anythng but like mentioned in the title, the novel is a year in the life of type thing, so don't expect drama in the three part, resolution of tension sense. Instead expect a cute kinda nice story about an older man having social adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Compass.