Mimi's Reviews > Summer of My German Soldier

Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene

Jan 13, 14

bookshelves: young-adult
Read on March 26, 2010, read count: 1

I honestly didn't really like this book. I thought I would, because it's a famous one or classic one, but I didn't.

I did like the character of Anton. (view spoiler)

I did like the character of Patty. I didn't like that she lied, but it seemed to be the only way she could figure out how to get the attention she was denied constantly.

I did not like the abuse/domestic violence, and I did not like the swearing.

The book was though very real. The characters had real problems and issues that were all very believable.

If the book didn't have the abuse and swearing, I probably would have actually liked it, even if it made me uncomfortable with some of the race issues. However, that is how things were, and my disliking it doesn't change the fact that many white Americans were hateful toward black Americans, Asians, Jews, and Germans.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of My German Soldier.

Sarah do you really think if it didn't have all that that it would send the message though? think if she didn't write like she did, would a lot of people like it? to me it was alright but still think of the message she was trying to send.

Elaina Price Spoiler alert!

message 3: by Mimi (new) - rated it 1 star

Mimi Yeah, the author might have needed the content to make the message.

And good point. I'll add a spoiler warning.