AH's Reviews > Blameless

Blameless by Gail Carriger

Mar 27, 2010

bookshelves: own, book-challenge, steampunk, were, vampires, zzread-nov-2010
Read from November 08 to 10, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

In real life, a ladybug is a small, red, spotted flying insect. In Blameless, a ladybug becomes a most lethal mechanical contraption, able to poison or subdue, and most likely to explode.

Blameless continues where Changeless left us hanging. I really do like this series and I have rated this book rather high, but – I felt that there were a lot of things lacking in this instalment of the story. There were things that were done right as well.

I’ll start with the things done right. First of all, the secondary characters seemed to hold the story together. I love Madame Lefoux. Madame Lefoux still carries that air of mystery and is an incredible scientist. Her attraction, and shall I say it, affection for Alexia made me really enjoy her as a character. I also enjoyed her choice of wardrobe as well. A truly original woman.

Ivy, now a married woman living beneath her station in life and very happy about it, came through for Alexia in many ways. Ivy takes over Madame Lefoux's business and goes to work inventing new styles for the fashionable women of London. I found her less annoying than in the previous books and I am fully convinced that her ditzy behavior in the past books was simply an act.

The long suffering Beta Professor Lyall earned my support. What an endearing character. Professor Lyall was so loyal, so well dressed, and so politically correct.

The gadgetry continued to impress me. I still wish that the book or the author’s website contained pictures or schematics for some of her contraptions.

What I missed in this book was the romance between Alexia and Lord Maccon. Lord Maccon is basically a blithering idiot throughout the book - pretty much 90% of the book. For me, that was way too much. I wanted to see him grovel, beg, and plead for forgiveness for his stupidity. It just wasn’t enough for me. Alexia was in mortal danger and he spent almost the entire book sloshed or acting like an idiot. Or being sloshed and an idiot at the same time. It just didn’t work for me.

I did find myself drinking tea as I was reading this novel. I do enjoy the series, even though this book was not the best so far. I will most likely find myself reading the fourth book Heartless when it is available.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blameless.

11/08/2010 page 42
12.0% "Mechanical ladybugs, a drunken alpha wolf, and a malicious half sister....I'm enjoying this..." 4 comments
11/08/2010 page 72
20.0% ""Leave England," it said in a tinny, mechanical tone. "And beware Italians who embroider." --Wonderfully cryptic!" 1 comment
11/09/2010 page 144
41.0% "I'm enjoying Alexia's romp through France." 6 comments
11/09/2010 page 204
57.0% ""Are these the famous Templars, then? Well Floote, I can see why you do not like them. Highly dangerous, mute clothing thieves. Ruthless providers of a decent night's sleep." --Alexia to Floote." 23 comments
11/10/2010 page 306
86.0% "Finally, Lord Akeldama enters the picture." 8 comments
11/10/2010 page 337
95.0% ""I mean to say, really, I am near to developing a neurosis -- is there anyone around that doesn't want to study or kill me?" Poor Alexia." 1 comment

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review! I'm really looking forward to starting this series.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks! It really is a fun series to read. You'll want a nice cup of tea by your side.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Is iced tea ok?

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Why not?

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh snap!! I have a ton of lady bugs inside my house!! I feel my home owner's insurance is probably about to rise. Awesome review!!!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "Oh snap!! I have a ton of lady bugs inside my house!! I feel my home owner's insurance is probably about to rise. Awesome review!!!"

Watch out for the mechanical ladybugs!