Krista (One Love) (Critical)'s Reviews > The Gathering

2082345
Apr 27, 11

bookshelves: april-2011, funny, own-ab, read-around, ya
Read from April 26 to 27, 2011, read count: 1

Okay. I want to start off by saying that I do really like this book, and I did enjoy it immensely, and I finished it in one sitting, thanks to Maya, the very likable (usually, when she's not being overly stubborn) character. Now I'll get picky.

Maya.
I LOVE that she's such a strong heroine who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to defend herself or others. On top of that, she's generally a pleasant, funny person, which is rare for YA leads; usually the female main is either a simpering imbecile who either can't decide on ONE guy she wants or can't decide if she likes the guy she likes (Bella Swan, Zoey Redbird, Bianca Olivier, Laurel Sewell, Zara White, Raisa ana'Marianna, Grace Brisbane, Nora Grey, Mary Ann Gray, Grace Divine, Meghan Chase) or a complete bitch, despite her [usually moderate] strength, who can't decide which one guy she wants or can't decide if she likes the guy she likes
(Kaylee Cavanaugh, Rose Hathaway, Kelly Winslow, Katniss Everdeen, Katsa of Graceling, Trella [Queen Bitch]).
***Maya is none of that, thank god. She doesn't fall at boys feet, but she isn't a complete bitch to any boy interested, either, and for once I can actually see why two boys might fight over her.

Daniel.
Okay, don't kill me, but for everyone drooling over Daniel, I just don't get it. He's so sickeningly perfect and noble and NEVER makes mistakes...no one like that can be real. People think he's such an original character, but no. He's the other half of the love triangle. The best friend. Yes, Rafe is the cliche bad boy, but Daniel is the cliche noble best friend. He's so perfect, I find him fake. Is fake sexy? ALSO, he's really controlling an bossy, ALWAYS telling Maya what to do and who she can and can't hang out with. It's not to the Edward Cullen point, but it's enough to get under my skin. I don't like self-righteous characters as a rule, and he is that. Also, a lot of people are swooning 'cause they can relate to him and his bad homelife. I hate to break it to you, but having a drunk dad who hates you isn't that original. He had some good points, even I must admit, like when he tries to save Rafe, someone he clearly doesn't like.

Rafe.
Yeah, so I know everyone hates him. Not sure why. He does have some of the cliches, but he's generally a pleasant and interesting character. I especially liked the part in the book where Rafe and Maya are exchanging little notes like "fifth graders," you know, 2gether 4ever etc...sort of teasing around but enjoying it. Rafe also genuinely cares about his sister, and it shows; I know, I know, so what? But I like a guy who cares about his family. He can be funny, and sometimes I like to laugh AT him, like when he says something really stupid. He also makes mistakes and APOLOGIZES after and ADMITS HE WAS WRONG. This imperfection, to me, makes him more real, because, frankly, I've met a few Rafes, but I've never met a Daniel, probably 'cause they're on the endangered species list. Also, it irked me how any time something bad happened, everyone blamed Rafe just because he was new in town.

A quick note: like others have said, I like that Maya has cool parents. Her dad is funny and I like her mom a lot--she gives good advice and seems very protective of Maya, in a nice, non-overbearing way.

That said, WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE SAME? Why do the parents ALWAYS have to dislike the love interest? Can't, FOR ONCE, they not make snap judgements based on either stereotypes or gossip?

Anyway, I'd like to gush over how amazing and interesting and totally unique the end was, with the fire and the animals (you'll see). BUT OHMYGOD, I kept saying, "OHMYGOD" while I was reading because it was just that cool, and I'd never read anything like it before.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

04/27/2011 "Okay, don't kill me, but for everyone drooling over Daniel, I just don't get it. He's so sickeningly perfect and noble and NEVER makes mistakes...no one like that can be real. People think he's such an original character, but no. He's the other half of the love triangle. The best friend. Yes, Rafe is the cliche bad boy, but Daniel is the cliche noble best friend. He's so perfect, I find him fake. Is fake sexy?"

message 1: by Share (new) - added it

Share When you said Grace Brisbane was asimpering imbecile who either can't decide on ONE guy she wants or can't decide if she likes the guy she likes. Which guys are you referring she can't choose between?

I totally agree with this review though :D and the way you explain main female characters. I never noticed it but, it's completely true!

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Share wrote: "When you said Grace Brisbane was asimpering imbecile who either can't decide on ONE guy she wants or can't decide if she likes the guy she likes. Which guys are you referring she can't choose betwe..."

I said OR, which means that I'm not saying she is choosing between two guys. :) The girl "either can't decide on ONE guy she wants OR can't decide if she likes the guy she likes."

But I wasn't being entirely serious. It was sort of said as a joke, just to make fun of teen lit. I like Grace well enough, especially compared to the others. I think I've just read too much lately so everything is blending together. ;)

message 3: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany *hmph* I was looking forward to seeing more of Chloe and Derek dang it. Oh well I guess *pouts*.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Haha, they'll show up at some point.

Tess Krista (One Love) (Critical) wrote: "Haha, they'll show up at some point."
Oh good, so this is actually an "otherworld" novel? I haven't started it because the summary didn't sound like any Otherworld situations and none of the names looked familiar.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) I wouldn't say its an Otherworld novel, since that's her adult series, but it is a continuation of the YA series and the characters from earlier books will show up later on. But it does take place in the same world as the Otherwold series.

Judy Definitely agree about Daniel. The "protectiveness" really bothered me, even though he was being portrayed as a good guy.