Janina's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

I think the words Grace uses to describe Sam fit this story perfectly: "You are beautiful and sad."

A small warning right in the beginning: The plot itself is clearly focused on Grace and Sam's relationship - and not much else - so if you are looking for action and suspense, you should probably look elsewhere.

Grace has been fascinated by the wolves in the woods behind her house since a member of the local pack rescued her from a vicious attack of his fellows. Ever since, she has been looking for her wolf with the yellow eyes.
Then, one day, she finds him in front of her house; human …

First of all, I really liked the werewolf concept in this book. Werewolves are no supernatural creatures with inhuman strength; on the contrary, they are simply normal wolves, thinking and feeling like animals. Temperature is what makes them a wolf: In summer, they get a short human span before they return to the woods in autumn or winter.
And every wolf only has a limited account of human years before he finally stays animal forever.

The relationship between Grace and Sam was portrayed in a beautiful way, as if they already knew each other for a long time (which is true in some way). Nevertheless, I never really 'clicked' with them as a couple, if you know what I mean. I was never fully engaged, or felt with them, loved with them, wanted nothing more than for them to be together.
What was great though, was that for once, the heroine, Grace, was the strong and pragmatic one, whereas Sam was more the sensitive and artistic type (sometimes a bit too sensitive for me, but he was always able to laugh about himself). I didn't find him too tearful or even feminine; it's just that I'm not that much into declarations of love via poems or song lyrics.

The only thing I really didn't like at all was the ending. The resolution to all problems turned up all of a sudden and sorry, but the realisation lacked logic – heavily.

What made up for that a little was the kind of open ending afterwards – not without hope, though – the reader not knowing what happened exactly and if there would really be a happy ending without any restrictions.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

08/02/2010 page 110
08/04/2010 page 196
45.0% "I really want to read more, but I simply don't have the time ... GRRR :(."

Janina Thanks, Teccc! Finally something to invest my tokens in ;).

Teccc :)

oliviasbooks Nice review! For me the ending was just right, though.

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Great review :)

Janina Thanks :). So, I've followed your discussion at Street Corner Bookers a little bit: I ordered Linger, should I read it now or is it going to spoil everything?

~Tina~ Awesome review! I'm not sure, Linger was a good book it just had some stuff that annoyed me/us.
But I will say that Shiver left me with a warm tingles while Linger left me with wanting Forever NOW.

Arlene Great review Janina. Yes... what Tina said. :)

Claudette I loved this book. I could not put it down. I am not some little teeny bopper. What a great review. Thank you. I didn't expect a romance in this book, I got that and more. Sam is such a likable character.

Redwolf Have you read all three books? it ties the story line together and it is a good book.