Lea's Reviews > The Body Finder

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Mar 28, 10

Recommended for: 14 and up, though younger if they're brave.
Read on March 27, 2010

Whatever you do, don't ignore the blurbs on the cover of this book, because they are absolutely correct: This is not a book that you can stop reading once you start.

Violet Ambrose has always been able to sense victims of violent death. Birds killed by her cat, wild animals attacked by predators, all of them call to her. Sometimes it's a sound, like bells ringing, and other times it's a smell or a taste. And so for her entire young life Violet and her best friend Jay have collected the creatures that call to her and buried them in her backyard, giving the creatures, and Violet, a small measure of peace.

Only once, at the age of eight, did Violet discover a person, a girl, murdered by an unknown assailant. Her parents and her uncle, the police chief, kept her role in the discovery a secret. Only her family and Jay know about Violet's talent. She has always avoided places where death occurs, and she also avoids the bringers of death, because whatever echo the victim's death gives off is also on the killer, even if the killing is justified.

As her junior year of high school begins, however, things are changing. Jay has made the transition from boy to young man, and Violet isn't the only girl who noticed. They are as close as ever, but Violet doesn't know how to handle her new feelings for her best friend. Even worse, Violet discovers the body of a local teenager who was murdered. When another body is discovered and more local girls disappear, Violet feels compelled to help. Can she find the killer without becoming his next victim? Can Jay protect her from both the killer and her own talent?

This book has both an excellent love story and a scary mystery. Aside from Violet's talent, this book takes place entirely in the real world, which makes the serial killer stalking the small town even more frightening. We don't know want to believe that people like this exist, but as someone who grew up in western Washington is the shadow of the Green River killer, the danger is entirely real, and ultimately more terrifying than any vampire or werewolf.

Kimberly Derting also does a great job with the setting. I personally got a kick out of seeing the communities that she uses in the story (all real places) and the teens in her book are much like the teens that I grew up with and used to teach.

Basically, this book is just plain awesome. You won't be able to stop reading, you'll cheer for the love story and fear the killer, and you won't be sure of the ending until the very last page. Seriously, read this book today!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body Finder.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ellen This book was one of the best books I've ever read and probably my favorite book this year! I really want to read the next one!

Molly This is one of the best books I have ever read. Kimberly Derting does a fantastic job creating all the characters. She describes everything so well that you can almost see why Violet is attracted to Jay. You can see what the bodies look like when Violet finds them. I recomend this book eighth grade and up. This book is really scary in some parts so make sure your ready to read it before you do.

message 3: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea I think this book was even scarier for me because I have been to all the places where it is set.