Farren's Reviews > Farmer Boy

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Mar 27, 10

Read on March 27, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farmer Boy.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Allyson (new)

Allyson I love love love that you're reading Laura Ingalls Wilder right now. Farmer Boy is one of my favorites.

message 4: by AB (new)

AB Embarrassing true story: I mostly read this one for the lavish descriptions of food.

Farren AB: ME TOO!

Allyson: I am currently making my way through the whole catalog. I checked them out of the Children's Library on campus this week. I realized the other morning that I think I'm reading them to counteract all the sordidness of The Thief's Journal and Down and Out in Paris and London. I just want wide open prairie and hard work and family values, guys.

message 2: by AB (new)

AB Although I think the scene I remember re-reading most out of the entire series is Laura watching her aunts get dressed in their finery for the big dance, in Big Woods.

message 1: by unnarrator (last edited Mar 28, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

unnarrator Which one is the one with Laura's birthday, and they're too poor for fancy cake with icing, but instead her mom makes these deliciously light and airy, drool-inducing golden sizzling fried popovers, which even snobby Nellie Olsen will devour with fresh creamy cold milk?

I remember pretty damn near everything. How Laura always had to wear BROWN and red, while Mary got to wear BLUE ribbons. And plucky stout-pony Laura making the desk rock back and forth, until the bolts pull out of the floor, so Carrie wouldn't get in trouble in school. How Laura wanted the black-eyed papoose, and cried. How Nellie Olsen's brother actually became "simple-minded" through pretending that he was.

I could go on...when you're a fundamentalist Texan girl, these books are pretty much all you get to read for fun. Well, and the Chronicles of Narnia. NB that most if not all of that little book DOE is, well, um, don't know how else to put it, yeah, a rip-off of The First Four Years.