Thee_ron_clark's Reviews > Freezer Burn

Mar 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, action, other-stuff
Read in March, 2010

Just when I thought Joe Lansdale could do no wrong by me, he did. Sorry. Freezer Burn just did not live up to my expectations for Lansdale. It was alright, but not that good. It was a smooth read. It was well-written. It had some entertaining dialog. It just did not live up to Lansdale's standard in my opinion.

Freezer burn is about a guy named Bill ending up in a carnival freak show do to a crime mishap. Bill is a small time criminal and a big time idiot. Although he has some ethics, he fails to use them. He is easily used by others as well.

Once in the freak show, Bill finds himself a part of a plot to rid the owner's wife of her spouse. In Lansdale's world, nothing is ever as easy as it sounds.

Generally, Lansdale paints rich characters who I like and am entertained by. In this story, I did not find any such characters. Maybe that was its downfall in my opinion.

This was not enough to steer me away from reading more Lansdale novels. It simply leaves me hoping that I am not as disappointed in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freezer Burn.