Natalia's Reviews > The Lovely Bones

Apr 08, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: library, ebook, 2010
Read from March 26 to 28, 2010

Part of me wants to lock Aice Sebold and Jodi Picoult together in a room, and make them read their books about murdered children to each other. I really don't understand why murdered children seem to have become such a common theme in popular literary fiction lately.

Sebold's idea of overlapping personal heavens really doesn't make any sense to me at all. while it paints an interesting picture of what kind of world a consciousness may create for itself once it no longer has a body, I never got a feeling for where that consciousness was actually hanging out, or why they would be able to see the "living world" once they got there. It was distracting.

The prose was pretty. Thought I sometimes think that there is a fashion right now in literary fiction to put more effort into pretty prose than into plot and character deelopment. There's a lot in this book about the surviving family's emotions, some details about them as people, but ultimately all the characters are distant and unfinished-feeling (Part of it, of course, is that the story is being told by Susie, who is removed from their growth and development as people after her death. But that reads sometimes like a convenient crutch to not finish people out)

Overall, it was another book that left me feeling emotionally manipulated for no real payoff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovely Bones.