Shawna's Reviews > Cowboy Trouble

Cowboy Trouble by Joanne Kennedy

3 stars – Romantic Suspense

This should have been titled “Libby Trouble” because city girl heroine Libby, who moves to small town Lackaduck, Wyoming to heal her broken heart and start a chicken farm, is absolutely exasperating. If not for Libby’s hunky rancher neighbor, sweet cowboy Luke, I wouldn’t even be giving it 3 stars. He’s such a caring, endearing, sexy hero and frankly, I couldn’t fathom what he saw in Libby, other than the fact that she’s a relatively attractive, available woman in a one-duck town with practically zero female prospects.

I thought it was going to be a contemporary western, but it’s actually more romantic suspense because former journalist Libby investigates an unsolved local mystery involving a young woman who went missing years earlier, and every man in town is a potential suspect, including Luke. I found Libby’s TSTL behavior, wishy-washy attitude towards romantic interest Luke and the local sheriff, Cash, and blind stupidity of things that seemed really obvious totally exhausting and irritating.

So with an annoying heroine whom I wanted to slap for most of the book and rather lukewarm, PG-ish romance between the H/H, this was a little disappointing for me. But I liked the author’s writing and will definitely give her next book, One Fine Cowboy, a try since the characters and story sound much more intriguing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cowboy Trouble.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review Shawna, wish it was a better book as I had my eye on this one. Doesn't sound like my kind of book.

message 2: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie Great review,Shawna. Starting a chicken farm would be my first choice to heal my broken heart, too :)!

Shawna Thanks, Karen! It was pretty good, but the heroine nearly ruined it for me.

Thanks, Nissie! I think a hunky cowboy would heal my broken heart much better than some nasty chickens, but maybe that's just me, LOL!

message 4: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie No, no. It's not just you! I'll take the hunky cowboy any day!!

Shawna In Romancelandia anyway 'cause most cowboys I've met in real life haven't appealed as much.

message 6: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie You know, I don't know if I've ever met a real life cowboy. Mostly just rednecks around here lol!!

Rossy Fantastic review, Shawna! I have to agree on Libby, there were times that i wanted to smack her for being so stubborn. Luke made up for it though!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Shawna, I'd have to agree with you on that. It's a shame. I do like my cowboy heroes in the books.

Shawna Thanks, Rossy! There was just a bit too much of Libby and not nearly enough of Luke. I'm looking forward to One Fine Cowboy though 'cause the premise sounds really good, and I'm hoping the heroine won't be as annoying.

So true, Nissie & Danielle. :)

message 10: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Shawna!
Blah, nothing spoils a book faster then one of the leads being annoying or stooopid

Shawna Thanks, Rane! True, that. :)

Joanne I agree 100% with your review. These were my thoughts as well.

Shawna Thanks, Joanne! Sorry that it wasn't a great read for you, either. The leads in this were just not likeable and overall it fell pretty flat for me.