Kate's Reviews > The Feast of Love

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

Mar 26, 10

** spoiler alert ** Feast of Love is a collection of stories with love as the overarching theme. The author, Charles Baxter, is in the book and relays the tales of five or six people who end up crossing paths, brought together through tragedy and love, showing how we’re all interconnected. Although it is written from the male author’s point of view, the stories are told in an interview style through the eyes of several different people. The book takes an interesting look at love in all its facets, how love changes lives and how life can be sad and funny and full of missteps.

I thought the book was beautifully written, although it was also very strange. The book meanders without a clear destination, kind of like love. You don’t ever feel like you know one character that well, and I didn’t really connect personally with any of them, and yet the book always kept me thinking. Feast of Love is a good book for people who like to ponder. I believe the best books are those that continue the discussion, rather than those that wrap up all the loose ends.

Pros: My favorite part of the book was when Kathryn and Bradley visited the dog pound and Kathryn names all the dogs. The imagery was great, and I loved the quote about how every relationship has a perfect moment. This was Bradley’s favorite moment, and Kathryn barely remembered the day at all! This showed how everyone has a story to tell and everyone has a different perspective. I also loved Chloe’s character. I felt she was the strongest character in the book and had a unique voice and I found myself rooting for her and Oscar.

Cons: You could tell the book was written from the male perspective. I thought there was probably too much gratuitous sex and I would’ve enjoyed a more believable point of view from the female characters. The ending wasn’t satisfying for me, and I found it confusing.

Once I read the book, I immediately rented the movie, and it’s a really interesting experience reading and watching Feast of Love back to back! I think the movie might be better than the book, but they complemented each other. The book improved parts of the movie and the movie improved parts of the book. The movie had bad casting, in my opinion – I never imagined the characters looking the way they do in the movie, right down to Bradley the dog! But, I thought the movie enhanced some of the storylines and had a much better ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Feast of Love.