Mommalibrarian's Reviews > How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone

How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone by Saša Stanišić

Mar 26, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in March, 2010

I chose historical fiction as a shelf for this book. I takes place in the former country of Yugoslavia. There are nice bits about being a boy growing up in a relatively unsophisticated town. There are awful bits, barely understood as seen through the eyes of a young boy. The story is quietly told. There is no ranting or raving or choosing side or condemnations. At one point he gets a letter from his cousin, also a young boy, Zoran, "I hate the bridge. I hate the shots in the night and the bodies in the river, and I hate the way you don't hear the water when a body hits it, I hate being so far away from everything, from strength and from courage; I hate myself for hiding out at our old school, and i hate my eyes because they can't see exactly who's being pushed into the deep water and shot there, or maybe even shot while falling. Others are killed up on the bridge, and the women kneel ther in the morning, scrubbing the blood away."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone.