Shannon's Reviews > The Well of Lost Plots

1301989
Mar 26, 10

Read in March, 2010

(Review of book on CD)

I'm having a tough time rating this one. Three stars? Four stars? Jasper Fforde is, as always, extremely creative. He has an astounding knowledge of literature, and his world-building skills are amazing. I loved The Eyre Affair, and really enjoyed Lost in a Good Book. I'm having a bit more trouble, though, with The Well of Lost Plots.

Other reviewers have said this already, but I'll say it here, too: there is just so much going on in this book. Some story lines are followed throughout, while others are begun, dropped, and tied up neatly at the end. Is Fforde being sloppy? Probably not. But an ending that says "after all that other stuff happened, here's what happened with all the things I stopped talking about halfway through the book" annoys me. Start as you mean to go on, or make it clear why you aren't. Or maybe he did make it clear with the title, as there are plenty of plot lines that get lost in this book.

On the plus side, though, is Fforde's extraordinary skills at writing a fun story. I mean, come on: Thursday Next is pregnant by a husband who was eradicated (meaning he was never born); she can jump into books, interact with characters of the books, and rewrite the endings; her mentor is a (very witty) Miss Havisham of Great Expectations, whom she accompanies, on one outing, to an anger management session with the characters in Wuthering Heights (everyone there hates Heathcliffe); the witches from Macbeth go door-to-door offering prophecies; and so on. It's really funny, clever stuff. And, because this title is the third in a series, it could very well be that the insanity that is The Well of Lost Plots will make sense in the fourth entry, Something Rotten.

Having read this title, as well as the first two in the series, I'll move on to the next. Fforde is, after all, an entertaining writer. I'm very curious to see where he takes Thursday Next...next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Lost Plots.