Lara's Reviews > The Vanishing of Katharina Linden

The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant

Apr 19, 15

bookshelves: read-in-2010, first-reads, mystery, cover-candy, faves-from-2010, unexpectedly-smitten, arc
Read on April 13, 2010 — I own a copy

I kind of loved this, but I can see how not everyone would. It reminded me of To Kill a Mockingbird somewhat, in that the main characters are children in a story that is clearly not meant for children, and also in the way the story is told--in first person, years after the events took place. I very much enjoyed the small-town Germany setting and the reluctant friendship Pia has with Stefan--reluctant in a way that seems quite realistic for a couple of unpopular ten-year-olds. I liked the pacing, and how the mystery slowly builds upon itself, and I feel like there are things I didn't catch the first time through that will jump out at me in a new way when I read it again. And there's a quiet beauty and simplicity to the words that really pulled me in. It's not what I expected at all, and I'm glad of it! I will definitely look forward to reading whatever Grant puts out next, and hope that it's just as good as this one is!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing of Katharina Linden.