Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Mar 26, 2010

bookshelves: read-2010, read-2011, giveaway-win, signed-by-author, reread, kindle, own, death
Recommended for: Every single YA out there, especially anyone who is struggling with reality.
Read in February, 2011 , read count: 2

5/5

Revised review.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher spun me around and around--so much so that I felt just as lost and confused and hurt that Clay felt as he was listening to those last words that he would be hearing from the girl he could have loved. Asher does not shy away from exploring the painful but gripping issue that comes attached with growing up and feeling as though reality is slipping away from you. Hannah Baker earned herself a reputation that she by no means deserved. A reputation that she earned through a rumour based on just a kiss. Clay Jenson is a remarkable and real protagonist, and Asher made a great decision to choose such a character to drive this narrative and Baker's.

The scenes and 'reasons why' are told with great care, and I think it's only after I've re-read it that I was able to piece things together a lot better than I did the first time around. While many people have criticised Thirteen Reasons Why, as supposedly those reasons should not, would not, have been enough for someone to end their life, but while I was reading it, I could feel it. How trapped and devoid she was, of anything secure or safe in her life, that she so needed, especially then. People were continuously letting her down, and she continued to believe that maybe someone could've helped her not give up on herself. The reasons, every action, in itself are for the most part, seemingly harmless. But when you look at the full picture, the links added up and it's astounding to think that this does happen in real life. That one small action could start a snowball effect. If it's anything that I'll be taking away from this book, it's that everything affects everything ( which is what Asher signed my book with! ;) )

Review to be fixed and extended upon. Last time I gave this book a 4.5/5, but this time I cannot give it anything lower than a 5. Because it's one of those life-altering novels, but even so, it was a real page-turner despite how hard it can be to read at times. It made me cry, it made me laugh at times, it made me disgusted and angry and hurt and annoyed and feel as though I were right in Hannah's shoes, feeling her pain and stifled cries for help. It's a book I would urge everyone to read. Please, put this book on your bucket list. It is not to be missed, and also . . . THIRTEEN REASONS WHY movie! Now that I've re-read the book, can I say I can see the movie being good? I'm still not sure. I'm still wary, because it'd be very easy to turn this into crap. Because a lot of book-turned-movies turn out that way, and I think if they don't get the details right and the feelings and emotions and acting, everything is broken. So for now, I'm a bit scared. And this is not part of the review. I feel I have a lot to say in correlation to this book, and I do. A lot, but I've been reading for hours straight, so I'll stop it here. Give my eyes a rest, you know? I'll be posting my re-review in EARLY MARCH.
1 like · flag

Quotes Cass - Liked

Jay Asher
“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”

Jay Asher
“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”

Jay Asher
“No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same.”

05/30 page 48
05/31 page 56
19.44% "I'm waiting for my copy of Thirteen Reasons Why to arrive before I can continue reading it-- the ebooks don't have italics and they're completely confusing me! xD"
06/06 page 39
13.54% "audio-book, that's why I'm reading so slowly"
02/05 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Nick (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Great review! I agree with alot of what you said, especially about how Asher puts the reader in Hannah's shoes. I don't really get how people say her reasons weren't good enough. As I was reading, I could really understand how suffocated, hopeless and trapped (that describes it perfectly) she must have felt.

I also agree with you (I seem to be doing that alot) when it comes to thinking a movie wouldn't be a good idea. There are alot of ways it could go wrong not to mention that almost all of Clay's side in the book is told through his thoughts. I can't see how you tell Clay's side and still have him take his journey by himself. Clay doesn't strike me as the type to talk to himself :P

Great review :)