Tarah's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

Mar 26, 2010

Read in February, 2010

Now look. I get a lot of people telling me "oh my gosh, you have to read X book about X topic because YOU will love it". And I'm usually like "screw you, grandma, you don't know me!". No one likes to be pigeon-holed. Well, maybe you do. But I don't. So I came to this book thinking: "screw you everyone in the world who has been saying I should read this"... that being said:

This book is amazingly well-written. It's fluid and important; engaging and pressing. I've admired Kristoff's writing from the NYTimes, of course, and his and DuWonn's writing combined in this book is really admirable. As is their work. These stories are only as real as they are read. So READ THIS BOOK. I don't know if this book will tell you anything you don't already know (I didn't really learn much I didn't know already, I guess... but after 6 years on the Stop Violence Against Women Campaign, you get you some learning about the issues), but it told stories that I needed to hear, and did it in a way that made me feel empowered, instead of depressed.

It's a book you really, really should read. And I know, I know. I don't know you. But really. Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.

07/28/2016 marked as: read