Jason's Reviews > Known to Evil

Known to Evil by Walter Mosley

Apr 18, 10

Read from March 25 to April 04, 2010

When last we talked about Leonid McGill, I worried that he and his world were too similar to those of the Easy Rawlins mysteries set on the opposite coast and 50 or 60 years prior. I had none of those concerns here. LT's his own man and, in Known to Evil, Mosley seems to forgo the familiar rhythms of his most famous character completely, learning a new way to play these songs.

I won't repeat what I said in my review of the first novel. What strikes me about Leonid in this tale is that, despite his past, he's obviously a good man. This internal battle between good and evil he talks about constantly seems, at least to me, to have become a creation of his own mind. He's created a narrative for himself that says he doesn't deserve the good in the world. That he must pay a penance. What man with such a will for protecting those in need and a natural desire for knowing the truth deserves that?

He has done right by the world, if not made peace with it, and that struggle is compelling. What comes for this man once he realizes he deserves more? In the meanwhile, he'll keep taking cases that toe the line between the light and the dark. He'll keep company with bad men. He'll keep his hands and his eyes hard even as his heart softens.

And I'll keep reading.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Known to Evil.

03/25/2010 page 35
10.74% "already really good."