Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > Fantasy Lover

Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon

May 30, 10

bookshelves: pnr-uf, 2010-april, 2010-may, snarky-troll-lives-here
Read in May, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** What a fun read! I picked this book up last night to give myself a break from reading Columbine. This book is like the coffee bean at the perfume counter. A quick whiff can clear out your brains and let you appreciate the beautiful scents you've been trying out.

First requirement - check your inner heckler at the door. Second - don't read the back cover to your spouse. I did, and once my husband stopped laughing at me he told me I had no more credibility with him as regards "literature".

Suspend your disbelief and meet Grace - a 30ish sex therapist with NO SEXUAL HISTORY TO SPEAK OF. Huh? Anyway. Enter Julian of Macedon -- babe-a-liscious sex-slave trapped in a scroll, whose only purpose is to pleasure the females who summon him. Impossibly enough, Grace won't have sex with him (again, huh?) and they fall in love. Then there is a battle involving some Greek mythology figures (Julian's family), Grace saves Julian, and they finally have sex. Oh yeah, there is a sex therapy client stalking Grace, a fight, a confrontation with police and a shooting. None of which was either necessary for the plot or written very well, IMHO.

I thought the book was really good when it dealt only with Grace and Julian. Their scenes together, and their love scenes together, were the best parts of the book. Ms. Kenyon can write some steamy stuff. Julian's character was well-drawn - you could feel his loneliness and pain come through quite well. I didn't relate as well to Grace -- I wasn't buying her backstory or her career choice. She was a means to an end for me - that's who Julian wants, and if I wanted to read about him, I had to put up with her.

So I gave this book 4 stars - it is a pure escapist fantasy read, one that will cheer you up and wish you had your very own Macedonian love slave. Oh yeah, and it has great sex! ;)

Literature it ain't, but as my husband will tell you, I don't care much for that fancy writin' anyhow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantasy Lover.

04/13/2010 page 337
100.0% "I'm slightly ashamed to admit how much I enjoyed this one!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla Whenever I have a problem with something, I know I always hire somebody with absolutely ZERO experience in the field. LMAO

Only in romance.... :P

Tammy Walton Grant Bwah-hahahaha!!! Yeah, it kinda stretched the believability for me....because the rest of the book was so realistic. ;)