Terri's Reviews > Dreaming the Eagle

Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott

1968826
I really liked this book.
In fact, I think I may have even hugged it for a while after finishing it. Actually, that sounds weird, so forget I just said that.

Manda Scott is a very talented historical fiction writer. She does it well and should do it often.

There are only two things that I didn't like about this book and the other books in this series (although I have only read 2 and a half of them so far). One thing I don't like is Scott's excessively lateral way of thinking when it comes to spirituality and reality blending with the unreality. Half the time the book is in dreamland and it is hard to tolerate when you aren't really a free loving, zen living hippy. I am not into that spiritual element of the book and it did frustrate me, as did the second issue I have with Scott's story.
Everyone is a bed hopping gay or bi-sexual. hey, each to their own, I don't begrudge people's right to bed hop. Whatever floats your boat, but I struggled with it in these Boudica books. Everyone seems to sleep with everyone at one stage or another and none of the characters seem to care if it's a man or woman. I am okay with gay relationships playing a part in the books I read despite my heterosexual outlook, but the to and fro bed hopping between male and male, female and female, male and female partners was a bit full on and it felt unrealistic. More for the author than the reader. It was open slather in Iceni land.

Those issues aside, I liked this book and gave it 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming the Eagle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily i understand your concern with the gay/bisexual part. i actually was talking to my history teacher and found that those terms did not exist in ancient times and it actually was common for people to sleep with, well pretty much everyone.
Romans did it
Greeks did it
and aparently it is not too unlikely that the iceni did it :)

Terri Hi Emily,
You are completely right. The Romans and the Greeks were all for the bed hopping. :-)
In these Manda Scott books, though, I found it a bit overdone. I don't believe the early British tribes were that way inclined. While it is recorded that Greeks and Romans were up for it, when you look at the cultures and nations that founded and integrated with the British tribes, these were not cultures known for bi/homo sexual free thinking.
It makes for an interesting debate though doesn't it? :-)

message 3: by Alicja (new) - added it

Alicja I don't think its too inaccurate. The Celts were observed to treat marriage as a civil contract, even accounting for extramarital affairs within the terms of the contract. The Greek philosopher Posidonius, who traveled into Gaul to investigate the truth of the stories told about the Celtic tribes, put it rather bluntly: “The Gaulish men prefer to have sex with each other.” This is supported by some Aristotelian commentaries as well. I know those are different Celtic tribes than those in this book but why would the Iceni be different? Also anthropologists have ascertained that homosexual behavior runs very
high amongst those societies with a strong warrior impulse. And as my last piece of evidence I'd like to present all those straight women in college who experiment with other women, but still identify as straight. I think, as Emily said, our modern selves are too focused on labels. They didn't have them back then and the Celts didn't have any prohibitions against homosexuality (but do list the husband's preference for men as a valid reason for divorce).