Chris's Reviews > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Apr 15, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, best-of-2010, non-fiction
Read in April, 2010

Absolutely incredible! Skloot managed to take a topic like science, cells, and medical research and make it readable for those of us who are more left-brained (or is it right?). And although this is the story of Henrietta and how her cells were taken without her consent and what they have given to the field of research, I found it more to be the story of her daughter Deborah and her yearning to find her mother. She was under five when her mother died and she was told nothing; her mother went into the hospital and never returned home. Then she lived with her siblings with a horribly abusive stepmother. This need and desire to find out who her mother was is the backbone of this story, and I found it heartbreaking. Yet, there is the silver lining in this story that although it is a sad story, Henrietta Lacks will live on forever and has helped to aid in so much medical research.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

Sherri I marked this to read based solely on rave reviews of others...even though the subject matter is something that I wouldn't otherwise read. Are you enjoying the book?

Chris I am! I'm about 40 pages in. I tend not to read non-fiction (especially about science! :-)), but the way it's written, it reads almost like a novel. Hopefully, it continues! :-)

Sherri Thanks for your review and comments Chris! I think I will put my name on the waiting list for this book from the library.