Katherine's Reviews > Up in the Air

720440
Mar 25, 2010

it was ok
Read in March, 2010

Caveat: I haven't seen the movie. But from the trailer, it looks like they didn't keep too much of the plot of this book... The main character and his chasing of a million airpoints, yes, but the character that's played by that girl from Twilight? Nada. And since she was nominated for a BSA at this year's Oscars, I'm guessing that part was pretty important to the film.

Maybe if she'd existed in the book, I would have liked it better. It wasn't *bad*, it just didn't really leave me with any compelling impressions. Maybe that's the point, though. Airline travel is so impersonal -- I always think of that opening scene in Fight Club where Ed Norton is talking about single-serving friends -- yet personal at the same time. You're thrust into another person's life for a set period of time, and you can't escape. There's a whole other set of social conventions that applies when you're flying. For the frequent flier, it must be personally diminishing to constantly conform to the homogenised atmosphere of the airplane and its resident characters. I've only visited Airworld a few times, but I can see how easy it would be to forget myself if I *lived* there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up in the Air.