Jennifer's Reviews > Mahatma Gandhi: His Life and Ideas

Mahatma Gandhi by Charles F. Andrews

Apr 05, 10

Read from March 25 to April 05, 2010

This book introduced me more clearly to a lot of Gandhi's closely held beliefs, but it got really hard to read at times (dull or repetitive), and it also expected me to know the history of India's struggle with British rule better than I did. Part of that is that the book was first published 2 decades before Gandhi's assassination, so it wasn't history at that point, it was current events.
I learned very much to respect Gandhi's belief that Ahimsa would solve all worldly problems, and that although Ahimsa was often translated as merely "non-violence," it meant much more to Gandhi; it meant love. Even when he was persecuted, imprisoned, insulted, and otherwise abused, he showed love and compassion, and it was this example that led to so much positive change. I loved the vignettes of meeting with Gandhi in his Ashram, and seeing how much he loved the little children, and how he showed malice towards no man. His teachings were fairly basic, and were aimed at helping everyone progress. I learned a lot more about his attitude towards Hinduism, Christianity, gender relations, cattle worship, and general good will to all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mahatma Gandhi.