Eva Leger's Reviews > Drop Dead Gorgeous

Drop Dead Gorgeous by Wayne Simmons

Apr 07, 10

bookshelves: b-fiction, end-of-the-world, zombies-vampires-demons, couldn-t-finish-yuck
Recommended to Eva by: Felicia
Recommended for: no one
Read on April 07, 2010, read count: couldn't finish

I couldn't get into this at all and I barely got a quarter of the way in. Even though I am now able to quit a book I still don't like doing it and I do try not to.... when I can. I couldn't continue with this.
I'd be interested to know whether Simmons is Irish, has ever been to Ireland, if he knows anything about the dialect, slang, etc. Because it was far too over the top IMO. It was like someone like myself (not from Ireland and not a person who uses Irish slang) wrote a book and stuck in every single damn Irish slang word I could find. Far too much. Ciggie, trackie bottoms, take the Mickey, bloke, arse(s), footie, shite, etc. Good luck trying to find one page that doesn't have all of these terms and more. Horrible.
It was like work and I don't like to work when I read, I like to have fun. I really thought I'd like this because the cover art is pretty cool and the title interested me. This, however, is just NOT for me.
If the dialogue would have been smooth I maybe could have hung in there despite the overuse of the slang but that's not the case here - the conversations and thoughts and everything in between is anything but smooth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drop Dead Gorgeous.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Felicia A So I guess you won't be reading the sequel then? LMAOO! I thought this one was OK. Not amazing, not incredible, but OK. You've just been spoiled by Rhiannon's books is all.... :-)))

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I was thinking just that thought - about how I started out with her books and loved them so much. I was trying to tell myself not to be too focused on one kind of story you know? It was that Irish slang that got to me though - if that had been different there may have been a totally different outcome. lol
I'm trying to figure out which of the others to start next - it'll probably be one of the trade paperbacks.

Felicia A I don't remember what else I sent you so I don't know what to recommend. Swan Song is amazing, but it's heavy, and not zombies. I have more books like Rhia's that are zombie stories but I don't think I sent them because they were 1-3 book series and I didn't know if you were ready for that.

When you get done with the ones I sent you, I will definitely send you the Morningstar series and another one. They are different, of course, but much more like Rhiannon's zombie series.

Felicia A BTW, I didn't send you the heavy zombie stuff because I didn't think you were ready, LOL!

message 5: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger lol... I'm not discouraged at all - I can't expect to like every single one! I'm starting The Rage Plague today and it looks really good. The other one, with Judas in the title, looks good too so I just picked and this one was up for going first.
I want to know if you've actually read these exact copies because I don't see how you could have. There isn't one single crease in any of them. You either have x-ray vision or you buy a brand new copy of a book AFTER you read it. Which one is it? You should see me reading them without fully opening them - I'm trying to peer inside! lmao

Felicia A Read the books however you do, Eva, I don't NOT crease them on purpose. Yes I read those exact copies! I bought Rage Plague new, and Jeannie sent me the Judas one. Go check out my reviews of those two also. I don't think I thought either one was stellar, but they weren't that heavy so I sent them to you for YOUR opinion.

And just because I want most of my books back doesn not mean that you need to treat them like they are made of glass. :-)

message 7: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger lol... it was funny when I pulled them out because I was turning them over and over and wondering if you had even handled them! I did just read the review for Rage so I can't wait to see what I think. It's interesting since like you said these aren't so heavy and since I'm knew to this kind of book while you're so into it. I'm going to start the Judas one after this also.

Felicia A waiting to hear your comments when you're done. :-)

message 9: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger I just started it a few minutes ago but am already about 20 pages in. I like how it starts and I like (from the back description) the thought of one of the crazies becoming a leader and forming a group. That's different from anything I've read so far. Hopefully it gets pulled off okay. I'll keep you posted!

Robert Beveridge To answer the question you posed: Simmons is from Ireland.

message 11: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Wow, you don't know how much that truly amazes me. I'd have put money on just the opposite. :)

message 12: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Hi Eva. Yep fraid so he is Irish. However, I'm from Portsmouth in UK but people (well not me or my family and circle of friends) do talk just like that, all the time. I do agree it's infuriating but true.

I have this on my to read list so I'll see if I feel the same.

message 13: by Eva (new) - rated it 1 star

Eva Leger Please let me know if you end up feeling the same! I'm interested in that. That sort of thing usually doesn't irk me too much and I love some Irish bands - one in perticular that has a strong accent and uses some words I'm not always familiar with. But this irked me to no end. :)

Kristophor Graden What a late comment this is, but being from exactly where this book is based, I can confirm that no, it is not over the top, and yes that is how we speak ;)