Cathy Dark's Reviews > The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches

F 50x66
Mar 25, 2010

did not like it
Read in November, 2004

This is a poorly written self published book. I normally wouldn’t even bother to waste time writing a review about it, since it is just a self published book pretending to be greater than it is. However I’m angry that I was tricked into buying this crap.

This book is not a “modern day fantasy classic”. It is not “better than Harry Potter” or “Star Wars with elves”. Robert Stanek is not “America’s Tolkien”. Where did all this over-the-top hype come from? One can only guess (or risk censor from this site)

This book is full of stale, poorly descriptive writng. A short boring episode of what threatens to be some endless drawn out cliché (there are books 2, 3, 4 and then a “sequel series” (?) that goes on and on). This book is so unimaginative that there is even a “dark lord” and a “middle earth” thrown into the mix.

However, this book does have some unintentional funny bits. I had to laugh when I was told that “middle earth” was a realm between lower and upper earth. And the author clearly is confused about the meaning of many words, such as when a frightened princess speaks COYLY to a supernatural apparition.

I would suggest reading the 1st chapter on the Amazon preview feature - or doing an internet search on the author - before buying or getting this book.
34 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches.

02/17 marked as: read

Alexandra I also am angry I was deceived into purchasing this book.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] Yeah, Google the author to find out all the fun zany history. Also, I'm sorry you got Stanked. :(