Penny's Reviews > Waking the Witch

Waking the Witch by Kelley Armstrong

Aug 28, 10

bookshelves: grrrl-power, witchy-woman
Read from August 25 to 28, 2010

Huh. That was... Huh. (still in shock. Need time to digest it before I rate and review it).
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waking the Witch.

08/25/2010 page 1
0.0% "Audiobook. This better be good."

Tatiana Good huh? Or bad huh?

message 2: by Penny (last edited Aug 28, 2010 11:43AM) (new) - added it

Penny I don't know. This is the first time I've ever felt so indifferent after finishing a book. So that's bad, I think? Usually I have some sort of feeling one way or another, but this time I don't. I got nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch.

Okay, so I know it's not going to get just one star, and I won't be giving it five stars. But I don't know if I like it or not. I just can't tell. Yet.

Here's the deal, it had like 2-3 different epilogues, not that they were called epilogues, they just felt like epilogues. It's as if Kelley Armstrong wasn't sure how to wrap it up so instead of picking just one way she went with all three. Then it ended in on odd place. I'm thinking was it meant to be a killer cliffhanger... but it's just weird, totally bizarre. Like there really is no conclusion. Like... Huh?

Okay, so I'm ticked off since I actually liked Savannah, but now I'm not sure. It's like she's been ruined. For instance, something disturbing happens in this novel and Savannah reacts to it in the oddest way. Kind of like, "Wow, I'm upset. But not really. Not in a normal way. Just in an odd, detached sort-of way. Like, I know I should feel bad, and I sort of do--see look at me, I'm distressed, I'm crying(ish)--but not really because I'm an unfeeling robot."

It's like she just can't muster the strength to feel any real emotion, I guess.

I guess the jury will be out on this book, until the next book is released. It's a Savannah novel. Once I read it, I'll know for sure. But yeah, Kelley Armstrong is sort of slipping, I think.

Tatiana OK. I'll get back with you once I get my hands on my (library) copy of it.

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I liked the book - BUT - it's the first time that Kelley Armstrong has done a cliffhanger ending and I think that is what is bothering a lot of people when they read this book. The ending just had this uh-oh feel to it.

I felt that Savannah was a likable character. I mean, here she is, one of the most powerful witches out there and she is not conceited about it.

Not one of Armstrong's best works, however I feel that once all the Savannah books are released the story will feel more complete. I still gave it 4 stars. Gotta support Canadian writers. LOL.

Tatiana AH, my problem is that in previous books Svannah is not quite that likable, and in this one she suddenly is. I think it's inconsistent.

Tatiana And what did you think of the villain? Wasn't Leah's plan too convoluted if all she wanted was to poison Savannah. Couldn't she just invite her (in Jessie's body) for some meal and spike her drink? It made no sense to me.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH @Tatiana - re Savannah being likable - In previous books she was a young teen. In this book she is 21. Now, from my experiences with young teens, (and I can't generalize) they do act petulant and hormonal at times. I found grown up Savannah more mature and independant. Also the absence of Paige and Lucas may have forced her to behave differently - ie take the parents away and a naughty child becomes an angel.

The villain - didn't see that one coming. I didn't even remember Leah from previous books. I think that Leah did mention that she (in Jesse's body) wanted to seduce her and kill her but at the time, Savannah was dating that other guy (can't remember his name).

This book did not read like her Otherworld series. It really felt like a Nadia Stafford novel. I still would rather see more Elena and Clay stories than this.

message 8: by Tatiana (last edited Sep 25, 2010 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tatiana I agree that people mature and change, but I read about Savannah in very recent short stories, set a year or so before this book, and she still had an attitude. Have no idea how she managed to change so quickly.

As for Savannah dating another guy (the cop), she actually met him way after meeting Jessie, when Jessie/Leah bailed out on her saying s/he had to leave her alone to finish another case.

Yeah, I would enjoy a werewolf book much more than 2 more Savannah's seeing that she is such a bore and there is hardly any sexual tension between her and Adam:(