Heidi Willis's Reviews > Dream of the Blue Room

Dream of the Blue Room by Michelle Richmond

Jul 05, 10

Read from June 02 to July 05, 2010

I wanted to love this book. Michelle Richmond's command of language and the beautiful way in which she uses it is captivating. She knows how to create a mood with her words and there is a definite mood to this book.

Unfortunately, what the book cover seemed to indicate the book was about wasn't what it really focused on, and as such I felt misled and disappointed.

The overall plot is one of a woman who has set out on a cruise through China with her husband (with whom she has a strained relationship with) and the ashes of her dead best friend. My hope reading was that this character would repair the relationship with her husband and find peace with the death of her friend. This is, after all, the purpose of the trip.

Instead, it seems from the first chapters that both of these objectives are doomed. Her husband is cold and distant and altogether unlikeable in his apathy towards her. She, in turn, despite wanting to reconnect with him, seems intent on having an affair with a fellow traveler. And her past friendship is complicated beyond redemption.

All in all, though beautifully written, this story left me frustrated and depressed and unsatisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream of the Blue Room.