Kristiana's Reviews > Goldengrove

Goldengrove by Francine Prose

Mar 25, 2010

bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2010

I recommended this for book club, and I am fairly certain most people did not like it. I have always read sad books and I am quite fond of them. There were really great random quotes that made me stop and think.

I'm glad the narrator established firmly at the end that she is an adult looking back at the event, it makes the language and beautiful writing seem more plausible, instead of the statements of a 13 year old. The audio narrator's voice is lovely and soothing and perfectly suited for the novel.

I started reading this book and then switched to the audio the week before my grandmother died. When I returned to work a week later I listened mostly to music unable to focus on anything else, but eventually I continued listening to the story. I may not have liked it as much if this event did not take place, but reading this recovering from a very long week was perfect.

It was a lovely book. Lovely language. Lovely content. Wonderfully suited for my mood.

Wonderful quotes:
"Little by little we surfaced from the dark gluey depths of that summer, bobbing into the blinding light we had to relearn how to breathe"

"Her death was an entity that would rip me apart if it could."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goldengrove.