Gerald's Reviews > Homer & Langley

Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow

Apr 08, 2010

Read from March 25 to 27, 2010

Grey Gardens with guys. Too bad, at least from the standpoint of marketing Doctorow, that this book is so similar in plot and even in character. Two orphaned brothers from a wealthy family on Fifth Avenue inherit the manse. Each has his own dippy looneyness, one an injured war vet with an oddball view of history, the other a blind pianist.

Episodic plot as the twentieth century passes by them like a parade.

Occasional tantalizing sexual encounters as the blind boy gets mercy f-d.

E.L. deserves to stand on his own, but I'm not looking forward to the documentary, the musical, or the made-for-cable adaptation.

For me, despite the zeitgeist, riches-to-rags stories are just too uncomfortable. If I had known it would go there, I would not have picked up this book.

Gerald Everett Jones
Author of the Rollo Hemphill comic novels

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homer & Langley.

message 1: by John (new)

John Gerald, you might enjoy a take on this material that's more out there, less social realism. I mean Mat Bell's THE COLLECTORS, which I reviewed her.

Gerald Well, I saw The Road and I will now gladly skip the book. Being scared that the end of the world is truly at hand, and not in a fantasy way, and that I could easily die in my own excrement if I don't turn into a cannibal is not my idea of a good time.