Kim's Reviews > The Little Giant of Aberdeen County

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker

F 50x66
Mar 25, 10

Read from March 22 to 25, 2010, read count: 1

I've heard so much about this book that as soon as I eyed it on the library shelf, the familiarity overtook me & I snatched it up. It also does actually have a really appealing cover - it would appear to be women's literature, but something more refined & serene. No cheesy romance or chick-lit. Perfect.
I listened to THE LITTLE GIANT... on audio. I'm pretty picky about audiobook readers - if the reader is wrong for the book, it ruins the enjoyment of what is likely an otherwise great book. The reader here was Carrington McDuffie, whom I felt filled the role for the character of Truly quite well.
Overall, I thought it was a good book. The story was something very original which scores really high for me. The style of writing, I felt, was entirely lovely. Almost poetic at times. Her descriptions were very vivid. EXCEPT, that is, for the physical descriptions of the character of Truly. It was so hard to create an image in my head of Truly. We're never really given any facts as to how big she was. Written in first person, we just have to rely on how she says others describe her. Ugly & huge were pretty consistent descriptions - but, can anyone be THAT ugly? And how can any baby possibly be called ugly or be so big that she's too big for a dress?? I don't know, I just wish there were more facts given about her size so that I could encompass Truly as a whole picture in my mind. Actually, the only character I was able to really visualize was Serena with her great beauty. Of course, maybe that was on purpose, as we never see Serena as a person of any character. She was pretty much JUST a pretty face.
This is a book I would recommend for someone who just likes a good story. That's what this is - a unique, beautifully written story. Don't get too engrossed with the details or it would become difficult. Still, an entertaining read & an author with tons of promise. I'll look for more from her!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Giant of Aberdeen County.