Katie Lila's Reviews > The Magician's Elephant

Mar 25, 10

bookshelves: 8-10-yrs
Read in March, 2010

Age: 8 and up
Really liked Dicamillo's writing style, very different. the story is one of love and magic. I enjoyed Peter's character and felt attached to Adele, wishing the best for her. It had a happy uplifting ending and not any really scary villains. I think the message of the book is that no matter your circumstance there is hope for a better tomorrow if we put effort into the change. I found myself feeling like a fly on the wall or getting glimpses into character's minds and trying to fit pieces together. In that way the story acts like a mystery. It made me pay attention to the details that seemed meaningless at the time because I knew at any point they would become important. A fun, compelling, quick read with great lessons of love and forgiveness.

Quotes to note: p.19 "Who expects something special nowadays anyways? Not me. I've worn myself out expecting something special."
Maybe the trick is finding something special in the ordinary.

p.48 "Life was so short, so many beautiful things slipped away."
Today Luke looked at me with his huge brown, 2 yr. old eyes and said, "MOM" before giving me a body-wrap hug. I thought of that quote and wanted so badly to not let that moment slip away. I hope there is a place in heaven to review all the most beautiful moments of life... how fulfilling that will be. I guess that's why I need to record things any way I can.

P.49 "It is important that you say what you mean to say. Time is to short. You must speak words that matter."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Elephant.

Quotes Katie Liked

Kate DiCamillo
“Life was so short; so many beautiful things slipped away.”
Kate DiCamillo, The Magician's Elephant

message 1: by Haley Ann (new)

Haley Ann I agree, I loved the writing style of this book! It was a quick and enjoyable read that showed the power of love, forgiveness and dreams.