Nancy's Reviews > The Last Sin Eater

Apr 19, 10

bookshelves: book-group
Recommended to Nancy by: Emily
Read from April 17 to 19, 2010

I was easily and quickly caught up in this story, enjoying the writing - after getting used to the 'accented' speech used. I am drawn to stories with strong emotion, when it isn't melodramatic or trying too hard, which this did not. The idea and symbolism of the sin eater was intriguing. But a little more than half way through, it started to feel strained. Maybe if I had known ahead of time that this is actually Christian fiction, I would have been prepared. Two kids spouting LONG sections of scripture after just a few visits with the preacher seemed too far fetched and not natural. If they had spoken of the things they learned and the truth they understood in heartfelt speech, I would have liked it better. It was a little overbearing on the preaching. And the way Rivers ended the book, by making it a story being told by a grandmother to her grandchildren, felt off, as there was never any other hint of that in the book.
Overall, nice writing, interesting premise, but then over-the-top preachy for me. But I'm still giving it 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Sin Eater.