Nancy's Reviews > Soul of the Fire

Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind

Jun 29, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 25 to June 28, 2010

Kahlan and Richard aim to head off the enemy commander, General Jagang, from reaching Anderith where his army will receive provisions. Through her actions in the previous series installment, Kahlan has inadvertently unleashed the nasty Chimes, magical forces bent on destruction. It appears the way to defeat the Chimes is also to be found in Anderith.

Long passages of this book segue away from Richard and friends and enter the viewpoints of various characters in Anderith. This lengthened the book and could have made a whole separate story. I found it annoying because I wanted to read about Richard and Kahlan and company and not about characters [spoiler alert:] we won’t see again. Shorter passages would have worked as well and would still have conveyed the themes of oppression and prejudice rife in this subplot.

At least Richard Rahl triumphs in the end, but a cliffhanger element with a loved one makes you reach right away for the next book. This was not one of my favorites because the story strayed from the main characters in too big of a block. It’s fine when we follow Zed or Sister Verna or any of the other secondary characters because they’re like family, but not a totally divergent story like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul of the Fire.