Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)'s Reviews > Silver Angel

Silver Angel by Johanna Lindsey

Not a newsflash that I usually dislike Johanna Lindsey books. The heroines in her early stuff are screaming brats or brain-deficient morons, and her heroes are wee little cardboard cutouts that stomp and growl and cross that line that divides grrr-worthy alphas from enraged psycho-babies sitting in their diaper gravy.

But I really liked Silver Angel, for the most part. It started out a lot like many old bodice rippers that have the hero and heroine separate for many pages before they meet up (here, about 150 pages in). I know some aren't fond of it, but I like that device because it shows the characters on their own two feet as individuals rather than the glued-at-the-hip-from-page-1 entity that is mandatory today. Both Chantelle and Derek were their own person, so to speak, and interacted with other people that gave them more of a personality than two brats at loggerheads for 400 pages.

When these two finally met up is when things headed south and the last quarter of the book got real obnoxious with cranky jealousies and a Totally. Lame. Murderer. mucking up the story's potential. It was a real disappointment to have a setup done with such care, and then the last part be real crappy and slapdash as it limped along to a conclusion.

That said, I'm still glad I gave Lindsey another chance and the rest of her backlist probably won't be going out my door anytime soon. There's fun times to be had with her particularly idiosyncratic writerly shenanigans.

3.5 stars, rounded up to 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Angel.

04/07/2012 page 158
37.0% "OK, who REALLY wrote this book? It's unlike the other Lindseys I've read & I'm actually loving it." 10 comments
04/08/2012 page 265
63.0% "Maybe I'm showing a bit of impatience here, but will these two just fuck already?" 2 comments
04/08/2012 page 326
77.0% "Oh Chantelle, you just had to keep inching over into Fires of Winter bratty Brenna "Fuck you, and fuck milk!" territory, didn't you?" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit What? Another Lindsey?

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Jeanine told me I had to read it. It's not bad so far, but the heroine hasn't shown up yet. So it could still head south real quick.

message 3: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea I remember reading Lindsey books back in high school and college. I vaguely remember this one. I think I liked the Malory family books the best.

message 4: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie Mwahaha--sneaks in, steals title/author for Kindle list...nothin' to see here folks. >.> <.< Lol

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I think the hero def qualifies as a BR one - happy to marry his long-time friend and yet keep shagging the housemaids on the side but be discreet about it. I kinda like him. :D

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince See to me, that's one of the so-so Lindeys. It takes too long to...well you'll see. Then again I LOVED Fires of Winter, so what do I know? :)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) The second half of this one is starting to slow down with the heroine getting all bratty. Reminding me too much of that damn Brenna. I'm waiting for Chantelle to start bitching that she hates milk. :P

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Still gave it four stars, huh? We're waiting for your review. Slacker. ;)

(FYI, if it had ended up on the keeper shelf, I'd have phoned the appropriate authorities.)

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Can you tell my bosses to back the fuck off with the spreadsheets and financial crap for a few days? Then I could actually get something written?? *sigh* Today is going to be exactly like yesterday. BS from dawn to dusk. :(

THIS is why I have Wednesdays off, because I'd go postal otherwise.

No chance of this being a keeper. The last half brought it down too much. First half was great, though.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah At least it wasn't a total hair-pulling loss. That's something, esp in the world of JL. Heh.

Dear Karla's bosses -

GTFO so she can write awesome reviews & unkink her spine!

No love,
Mrs Dixon

Rachel (BAVR) Have you encountered a romance author yet who has managed to concoct an intriguing, believable murderer who doesn't stumble around whacking him/herself in the face with an idiot stick or acting like a boring generically evil incarnation of Dr. Evil? (Aside from AS's Hideous Harry the Hippo - an unspoken hero.) Because I most certainly haven't. Have you? If you have, I want titles and authors right freaking now. :D

message 12: by LuvGirl (new) - added it

LuvGirl " I think the hero def qualifies as a BR one - happy to marry his long-time friend and yet keep shagging the housemaids on the side but be discreet about it. I kinda like him."

Sounds like I'd like him too :-)))

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) Rachel, I think that particular villain critter remains eternally elusive. :-\

message 14: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie The ultimate eville-doer in the Painted Veil wasn't too overly predictable, nor did I point him early on. Definitely not a bodice-ripper, but it's sugary goodness was appropriate for my mood at the time. ;D

message 15: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie Awesome taters, I just made a new shelf for this rarity of Lindsey's: Lindsey's that don't blow << So true and dead-on. We know it's true!!

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) The reason why this one didn't suck so bad is that I learned from Fires of Winter and put on my durrr face for it. LOL

message 17: by Mermarie (last edited May 13, 2012 01:40PM) (new) - added it

Mermarie I loathed that book. It was like slavery, minus the hotness. LOL

I don't truly mind slavery, if it's beneficial to the story, or the hero is enslaving the heroine for revenge, etc..etc. (But it wasn't even FOR the hero himself! So, no passionate retribution underway!) In that book, it was his lifestyle to accept slavery. For instance, Stormfire, didn't mind the slavery --heck, when he locked her into the cell for months on end, it wasn't as irritating as Fires of Winter. It just felt like the heroine wasn't unique enough to mistreat properly or personally, so just assign her the same as a scullery maid. I don't even know if I can explain why I hated Fires of Winter so badly. By the time he found her interesting, I was already ready to disembowel him. lol After the whole bit of excessive mistreatment went off, (or the unillustrated pirate escapades with the other women/slaves. Sigh, not even graphic enough to find unappealing OR distasteful! I just didn't care what sort of monstrosity those pirates conducted, after that which lacked visualization!) Lindsey attempted to emphasize on the heroine's skill with horses and blades, and I concluded absently.."Oh yeah? Good for her. Good for her." I thought the heroine didn't quite hold her own, she was pretty easily cowed, all in all. Perhaps you can explain it better. lol

message 18: by Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) (last edited May 13, 2012 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) The heroine was a total mess. I loved how she had supposedly killed men before while capering about as a warden on her estate, but she's forever fainting, getting picked up and carted around, or having any weapon slapped out of her hand. The only way I could see her actually killing anyone is if they fell into a branch-covered pit and she screeched them to death.

message 19: by Mermarie (last edited May 13, 2012 03:59PM) (new) - added it

Mermarie "It started out a lot like many old bodice rippers that have the hero and heroine separate for many pages before they meet up (here, about 150 pages in). I know some aren't fond of it, but I like that device because it shows the characters on their own two feet as individuals rather than the glued-at-the-hip-from-page-1 entity that is mandatory today."

I admit I have a propensity to crumble in frustration, awaiting the H/h meetups, but you raise an extremely valid point. The H/h shouldn't rely on the fact that their love is what makes them likeable, or they're only remarkable, by the notion that two annoying characters found love. ;P LOL Their persona and character should be developed to the point that they're interesting enough to stand alone, and let life guide them to all those wondrous pleasantries that love entails. I mean really, if you have two characters bored out of their blasted skulls, surely the first signs of a challenge will drag them into a love/death trap. Lol

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) That is really why I'm so arrgh and meh about the newer romances I read. 90% of them have the H and h meet cute on page 1 or at least by mid-chapter 1. Drives me nuts to be stuck with two yahoos from the get-go.

message 21: by Willow (new)

Willow Yay! I'm glad you found a JL book you rather enjoyed. LOL

I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed Lindsey's books. I'm convinced she had a bondage/abduction fantasy thing going. It's the running theme in so many of her books. Her characters rarely even begin to resemble real people. LOL

Excellent review, as always. :)

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "The only way I could see her actually killing anyone is if they fell into a branch-covered pit and she screeched them to death."

Not only that, but screeched to death by outlandish & absurdly Regency-related 'battle of the sexes' banter. *gag* At least when she wasn't too busy screaming about how milk is for babies & cowardly womenfolk...

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) The milk thing will stay with me forever. :D

That and the h's leaky boobz in Paradise Wild. JL loves her lactation liquids too, apparently.

message 24: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie Haha, this is a writing style of hers, where your eyes can float all over the page, or sacrifice the book by ripping it partially out, rearranging the loose leaves, commence reading and practically never getting lost, or confused. :D LOL

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I should try that. :D

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mermarie wrote: "Haha, this is a writing style of hers, where your eyes can float all over the page, or sacrifice the book by ripping it partially out, rearranging the loose leaves, commence reading and practically..."

*cackle* The sign of a master storyteller at work. :D