Penny's Reviews > The Dark and Hollow Places

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Mar 28, 11

Read from March 25 to 27, 2011

Brief-ish summary (that isn't so much spoilery as it is more of a quick set-up of the plot during the first chapter or so): Teenage Annah has been on her own for three years, since Elias--the boy with whom she got lost in the forest several years prior--left to join the protectorate to secure a better future for both of them. In the Dark City where lawlessness prevails Annah learned quickly what it takes to fend for herself. She's had to be strong in order to survive.

Because of street smarts and childhood accident that left part of her face and body marred Annah's been fortunate to fend off creepers and the like. Unfortunately the very same scars cause Annah to keep everyone at arms length. She walks the streets with her head down, speaking only when necessary and has no friends or acquaintances. She's literally all on her own as she waits for Elias to return to her.

Near the beginning of The Dark and Hollow Places Annah makes the decision to move on--Elias has been gone three years when he only signed up for two. She knows that there is a good chance he's dead or worse. She knows it's foolish to continue living in the same building they lived in together as it's been declared unsafe and the city is getting more dangerous every day.

It's when she's leaving the city for what's supposed to be the last time she sees a teenage girl who has her face, or rather the face she would have were it not for all the scars. Annah knows without a doubt the girl is her long-lost identical twin, Abigail, whom she and Elias left in the forest all those years ago. Guilt-stricken, there hasn't been a day in which Annah hasn't thought about Abigail, about her fate--whether she found her way back to their village or not.

Annah attempts to get to Abigail who, ironically enough, is entering the Dark City. She fails because of the excessive, though entirely necessary security measures in place. Helplessly she watches Abigail pass by, hoping she can locate her after she returns to the city. Around the same time a young man, also entering the city, becomes the focus of nearly everybody's attention when security dogs start barking at him, identifying him as infected. Turns out Abigail is traveling with the young man and helps him escape from the peacekeepers. In turn they take her into custody while Annah looks on, horrified.

And this, folks, is when things get truly interesting but I'm going to have to finish reviewing this book later as my five year old needs attention RIGHT NOW! (Seriously, the world might just end if I don't do her bidding.)

----

Original short review:

More like 3.9 stars but I went ahead and rounded it up because it is the series finale and it ended well. The protagonist is the strongest Ryan has written to-date, though a little too much of a tortured soul from time to time. There are times in which I found myself choking on her pain, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's just that Ryan writes heartbreak and rejection so well, I found myself sort of reliving some of the nastier, best-left-forgotten experiences from my adolescence. I was choking on bitterness on the MC's behalf and I even hated the 'other girl'. So glad I'm no longer a teenager, but I digress.

I'll write a full review when I get to my computer as typing this out from a phone isn't very fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark and Hollow Places.

03/25/2011 "Even better then The Dead-Tossed Waves. Carrie Ryan's writing has evolved." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy Oh I'm so glad you read this so that I can feel happy to read it now so that I can read it too!

Penny I hope you like it. I can tell some of the content will raise some people's hackles. It's a lot more violent then the other two books and honestly it's also a lot darker then the other two. Anna is broken in so many ways.

That said she's also the most compassionate of Ryan's heroines. She doesn't just think about herself or the people she loves. She worries about strangers. She has a conscience. Unlike Mary and Gabry she doesn't suffer from apathy which is one of many reasons she's a bit of a tortured soul. But at the same time she's so strong. She's a survivor.

I'm working on the full review now. I hope to have it done soon.

message 3: by Ceilidh (new) - added it

Ceilidh Oohh, this comforts me. I think Ryan's a fab writer but her heroines always let me down with their selfishness and romance obsession so I'm glad Annah is different. Looking forward to getting my hands on this and seeing what else Ryan has to offer.

message 4: by Kat Kennedy (new) - added it

Kat Kennedy I don't think there's anything wrong with a heroine being selfish. It is, historically a feminine archetype that women aren't supposed to be selfish. Mary's dream of the ocean and her passion to reach there despite getting pretty much everyone killed along the way is pretty much one of the things I enjoyed the most about The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

Penny You know, I was thinking about TFOHAT today, telling my friend about it, and the more I thought about it the more I felt that a lot of the decisions Mary made, though selfish, pretty much saved lives for the most part. (hello run on sentence)

That said, I stlll don't like her. Maybe it's a personality thing, I'm not sure. All I know is she grates on my nerves.

Yami Loved your review. Thanks for it! I am on The Dead-Tossed waves and starting The Dark and Hollow places.