Kat's Reviews > Enchanted Glass

Enchanted Glass by Diana Wynne Jones

Mar 25, 10

bookshelves: kids-and-ya-fantasy, fiction-sf-and-fantasy
Read in January, 2010

Whenever a book by Diana Wynne Jones book comes out, it's jumped to the head of my reading-queue, which was (and still is) long following Christmas and my birthday. As a result, I don't think I'm a very objective reader any more as I fight between expecting another example of the best of her vast output ("Fire Hemlock", "The Homeward Bounders", "Howl's Moving Castle"... actually, I'm just going to stop there before I list half her bibliography) and wanting to excuse a lesser book (because even a lesser novel by DWJ is still head and shoulders over most others, in my opinion).

"Enchanted Glass" hovers somewhere between the two. I was really enjoying it, I loved the set-up of this new world she's created and how everything unfolded. Then it seemed to come to a halt so abruptly! It was as if she'd got tired and tied things up as quickly as possible (which I have mentally excused given her recent state of health). Even for the first in a series, it could have done with at least another 50 pages and I'd have pegged it at the same level as the best of the Chrestomancis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanted Glass.