Charlotte's Reviews > Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands

Maps and Legends by Michael Chabon

Mar 25, 10

Read in March, 2010

This is a LOT of Michael Chabon in one place, probably more than I need, but I bought it for my husband, and because the book is so beautiful--THREE differently colored overlapping dust jackets. I think McSweeney's must grow money on trees in their offices or something. I like Chabon most when he's talking about other writers and why they're cool, and I really like that he's so active in supporting fantasy/sci-fi/comics as more than "just genre fiction" and totally agree with the best essay in here, about how literary fiction--that's just a genre too, you know? And to not read fantasy is, in a lot of ways, a failure of imagination. I like Chabon least when he's talking about his marriage and family, and how great they are, and how he struggles with them but ultimately finds them so incredibly rewarding, blah blah blah. I feel like this is the memoir narrative of the '00s, and I'm sick to death of its banality. Be smug in private, okay? To be fair, there's not a lot of that business in here, I think I'm remembering other essays he's written, and a long and boring interview on Fresh Air I listened to (why?) and I'm about 25 pages from the end of this, and I think I'm done with it. It sure is a pretty book, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maps and Legends.