Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Well written but I think my sheer impatience with the set-up got to me.
References to Samuel Lyle (Darkest Powers trilogy) and the Nasts, Cortezes and St Clouds (Women of the Otherworld) were very welcome as I'm anxious to see characters from all the books connect but I'm seeing similarities with these other works too.

Maya reminds me of Elena (WotO) in personality and ability but the people around her made me think of Chloe's crowd. Daniel is Chloe's Maya's best friend and she wants to keep it that way so no kissy-wissy despite being attractive to every girl except her. Apparently. I'm not so sure. And Rafe is her Derek (though he may actually be Clay to her Elena), an outsider/outcast who's struggling to care for his brother sister, Annie.

I loved Maya's parents. They were good people and genuinely loved and cared for their adopted daughter. Parents are rarely seen or heard in YA these days or if they're around they're neglectful of their duties, clueless about their children and their actions. Maya has close relationships with them and I chuckled every time she (lovingly) teased her father mercilessly. Her directness was embarrassing!

My impatience came into play when everything is blatantly obvious to us readers but we're waiting for the characters to catch on or impart important information to these poor clueless kids. They don't realise that what they're joking around about is actually real and true because to them it's too far-fetched. I feel like I'm 100 steps ahead of them and my foot's itching to kick them to motivate them to catch up.

Intellectually I know this is just a slow build up, establishing Maya's world so we can understand how devastating it'll be for her and her friends when it all falls apart but just...HURRY UP! That cliffhanger, I knew it was coming but it still burns. If I had the next instalment I would be reading it right now instead of writing this so I enjoyed the book well enough.

However, I didn't particularly take to Rafe. Perhaps I was reading too much into the whole love triangle thing of the last trilogy but I was hoping Daniel would take Maya's dad's offer of the truck and marry Maya. He's far more likeable than Rafe and I got the impression he might be interested in dating Maya but as I said before, I might be reading too much into his actions.

(view spoiler)

On a sidenote: the tactile quality of my UK edition is very high. Smooth, soft cover, paper and page edges. Definitely not a cheap mass market paperback.

_________________________________________________

First 90 pages now available here:
26 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

04/02/2011 page 288
100.0% "It's actually 359 pages. Stupid cliffhangers. If I had the next one I'd be reading it right now."

Taylor Marsh OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG!!! Yay :) Bit of a bummer that there's not more about Chloe, Derek and Simon but still YAY! Cannot wait!!!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Kelley has said Chloe & co may meet up with the characters in the last book of this new trilogy.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ I can not wait. I will miss Chloe and Derek

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} I don't particularly like this book cover. I hope we get a better one in the UK.

message 5: by Shantel (new)

Shantel i dont like this cover. but the book sounds awesome can't wait

Lani Woodland I like Daniel too!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Daniel is a great guy. I hope we get to see even more of him in the next instalment.

Alyssa I was so impatient Ames! I was like just figure it out already lol. I was upset about the cliffhanger too, I wanted to read more! I think it would be great if Chloe & co meet up w/ them though. I have to read WotO still, hmm I may do that to bide my time.

Alyssa Oh & I hope she kind of wakes up and goes for Daniel. I kind of get the impression that he likes her. I semi like Rafe but the whole book I just wanted her to be w/ Daniel!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Alyssa wrote: "Oh & I hope she kind of wakes up and goes for Daniel. I kind of get the impression that he likes her. I semi like Rafe but the whole book I just wanted her to be w/ Daniel!"

Me too!

Sanzi are you sure that the St.Clouds is a reference to Women of the other world and not a reference to The darkest powers trilogy? Because when Chloe, Derek, Simon & Co. were trying to escape the laboratory, everyone who was taking part to the Genesis project was talking about how Mr. StCloud is on his way and everyone seemed afraid of it. So I think Kelley used this named in both her series, but the StClouds here are related to the Darkest Powers.:)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} The St Clouds were mentioned in the Women of the Otherworld first but that series, Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising are connected as they're all set in the same world so it doesn't really matter. :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the comment about the tactile quality of the book. I hate cheap print runs that use that awful almost see-through paper.

Hm, the likeness to Elena is a problem. I didn't care much for her, though of course I loved Clay.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} LOL, everyone loves Clay. Who's your favourite narrator or character other than Clay?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Can't remember! I've only read Bitten, and that was probably about a year and half ago. I think I remember Clay's dad somewhat fondly....wait, did he have his own book later on? I might have read that one.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Jeremy pops up now and again but he has a larger role in Haunted and short stories in Men of the Otherworld and Tales of the Otherworld.

Chris I've read the Otherworld books and the Darkest Powers books, so had to pick up this one. I did not like this book as much as the Darkest Powers, but I will read the whole trilogy. I may have to go back and read the Darkest Powers books again, because I can't remember how they ended. I do remember thinking there must be more, so I'm guessing that these books will be the "more" I was looking for. We shall see.

Deena Beena I also want her with Daniel! (: