Diana Dang's Reviews > Not Suitable for Family Viewing

Not Suitable for Family Viewing by Vicki Grant

May 07, 10

Read from March 25 to 29, 2010

Robin is filthy rich because her mother, Mimi Schwartz, is a big-time TV host. One would expect her to be popular and surrounded by famous people. Instead, she coops up in her room and watches the re-runs of her mother's show episodes without giving a care in the world.

When she finds an old picture of her mother, she decides that she will go off to discover who Mimi really is. Packing her bags to leave New York City, she lands in a small town in Nova Scotia, Canada. As she tries search for her mother's real identity, Robin unexpectedly runs into romance and the buried secrets that made Mimi a celebrity today!

Vicki Grant is a favourite Canadian author of mine. I absolutely love her novel for preteens, Quid Quo Pro, which is full of delightful humour that kids and adults can both enjoy! Most of her novels, however, are for reluctant readers, which are all quite short and simple. So when I saw Not Suitable for Family Viewing, I had to get it!

Compared to Quid Quo Pro, there was not a load of in-your-face humour. Instead, the funny stuff were done subtly. I love the atmosphere of this novel as it is very contemporary.

I pitied Robin in the beginning and there were a couple of times where she lightly touched my nerves, but overall I loved her as a character. She is very realistic and I liked how instead being the type of person who uses her mother's fame to her advantage, she is very withdrawn and knows that those who befriends her uses her. Her relationship with pretty much her only friend, Selena, is quite tight. Although Selena acts like she doesn't care, she comes around in the end to aid an old friend.

I found Robin's time in Nova Scotia to be very charming and new. Her first meeting with her boyfriend-to-be, Levi, was absolutely hilarious! Their relationship is absolutely adorable and not overexaggerated. It was nice for once to see that a novel was not wholeheartedly based on the romance because the main story was trying to find out who Robin's mother really is.

Not Suitable for Family Viewing is such a page turner, where contemporary book fans will devour it in an instant! The ending will take readers by surprise and glee for that it is done amazingly well with uniqueness and love. A recommendation for all girl readers and realism fans!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Suitable for Family Viewing.