Amanda's Reviews > Old Magic

Old Magic by Marianne Curley

Mar 25, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 03 to 04, 2010 — I own a copy

I loved it! I'm kind of surprised about that because until a few weeks ago, I didn't even know it existed. It originally was released back in 2000 and has recently been re-published. I'm so glad it was, as I'd probably still be ignorant of it's existence otherwise. For any Aussie fantasy lovers out there you should give it a go. The first half of the book is set in Australia (New South Wales I think) and if you're anything like me this gives me a thrill as I understand our slang and the schooling structure. The second half is set in Medieval England, all the way back to the 1200's. It's so interesting reading this. I think I'm going to have to pick up some of the books I've got on my shelf that have a similar setting.

Kate is a proud, strong character that those who are less accepted in the community could take a few pointers from. She isn't one of the popular crowd but comfortable with who she is. She knows that it's not her fault that other people can't handle that which they don't understand, which in turn makes them the ones to be feeling sorry for. Now this isn't mostly based around bullying. It's mostly about witchcraft. The good vs evil kind. But where the evil is coming from isn't known until past the halfway mark. Jarrod is a cute, clumsy character that is hard to resist. The other characters aren't really delved in to but it's not necessary as this is about Jarrod and Kate's story.

This book kept me captivated from beginning to end. Putting it down was a necessary evil but as soon as I got the chance my face was shoved back in between the pages. Marianne is a very gifted Australian author who deserves more recognition. I'm looking forward to reading her trilogy, The Guardians of Time. I recommend this to Australian Author & YA fantasy lovers.

Cover: Beautiful. The way the O of Old is the iris of Kate's eye and the shine effect of it against the very pale skin background is gorgeous. The picture looks just how Kate is described.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Magic.

04/03/2010 page 70