Trishtator's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

Dec 28, 2007

bookshelves: classics, own-it
Read in December, 2007

A quote I really like, as it captures what Steinbeck and I share in our hearts.

For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard or too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I've lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not a punishment. I did not want to surrender my fierceness for a small gain in yardage...I knew that ten or twelve thousand miles driving a truck, alone and unattended, over every kind of road, would be hard work, but to me it represented the antidote for the poison of the professional sick man. And in my own life I am not willing to trade quality for quantity...I see too many men delay their exits with a sickly, slow reluctance to leave the stage. It's bad theater as well as bad living. (pg 20)

Steinbeck is an honorable man. I found so much in common with him, and as he drove, my heart was counting the stripes on the highway. I absolutely love Steinbeck's trek across America.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.