Joseph's Reviews > Spray Paint the Walls: The Story of Black Flag

Spray Paint the Walls by Stevie Chick

620660
Aug 12, 2010

liked it

Okay, this has been sitting in the dock for a while (among a multitude of things/other books that I have indeed read but haven't reviewed)--but I actually read this in two days like four months ago. I took a personal day off from work to read it straight through. Here's the deal: I honestly was a little suspicious of a Limey writing about the history of one of Southern California's most important bands, but it makes sense in the fact that someone who lived here/lived through it might bring to it a multitude of biases, and that's that (plus Stevie Chick has written some killer stuff on crucial contemporary bands such as Comets on Fire and more). A bulk of the text is straight testimony from Flag members, other bands that played with them/people who were there, and it's prime juice for anyone who abused themselves on an old Santa Cruz Jesse or Grosso thrashing to 'Jealous Again' or shaved their head while listening to 'Damaged' or had some fucked late night mental breakdown while spinning 'Loose Nut' or 'Slip it In' wanting to kill themselves over a girl (or boy)--for any of us whose blood was unbelievably stirred by the Flag will devour the book. Now, that said, and my heart goes out to Chick on this one: there are typos on--literally--almost every single page, and some other heavy duty editing issues (the same metaphor used over and over to describe contradicting things, stuff like that--things the editor at Omnibus should have caught!). Somewhat to the point of distraction. Though not enough to make this a killer way to destroy your weekend!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spray Paint the Walls.